Saturday 3 October 2015

Whole Wheat Quesadilla - The Easy Indian Way!!


When I get super bored with my regular meals and I crave for something chatpata and I see extra chapati's in the kitchen, only one thing comes to my head- Quesadilla...!!

These are so simple and easy to make and are ready in no time.

What are Quesadillas?

Pronunciation: key-suh-dee-uh

These are made of whole wheat flour or corn meal (usually called Tortillas, pronunciation: twar-tee-uhfilled with a savoury mixture, vegetables, cooked often on a griddle. The origin of the quesadilla was colonial Mexico. The quesadilla as a food has changed and evolved over many years as people experimented with different variations of it. The crispier versions are used for making Tacos, nachos, burittos, etc.

So when I eat at restaurants, I have this habit of checking every part of my meal for looks, flavours, ingredients, the degree the elements are cooked etc..
So when I had my first quesadilla, I did the above.. Very soon to find out how simple yet classic a dish this is. Also tried all the accompaniments, individually and all together to know which tastes better.

The verdict- Quesadillas combined with Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream is super flavourful, packed with crunchy vegetable and hot and sour flavours, tickling your taste buds to definitely have more.
So here's my take on quick and easy-to-make quesadilla....In no time will members be in appraise of this dish. But yes, you must make this fresh and serve hot to get the best results.


Ingredients

  • Wheat tortilla/Roti - 2
  • Bell Peppers- Red/Green/Yellow -1 Each
  • Onions- 2 Medium Sized
  • Corn Kernels - 1 Small Cup  
  • Baby Corn - 5 No.s, Slit Lengthwise
  • Tomatoes - 1 Large
  • Cottage Cheese/Paneer- 100 Gms
  • Salt- As per taste
  • Tomato Ketchup- 4-5 Tbsp
  • Chilli Sauce- 2 Tsp or Hot Momo dip- click here(which I prepared for momos)
  • Mozzarella Cheese - 1 Cup Grated
  • Oil- 2-3 Tbsp
  • Mayonnaise - 2 Tsp (Optional)


Method

Take a non-stick pan and add oil and let this heat up.

Once the oil is hot, add the onions, after about a minute add the corn kernels/baby corn, tomatoes and stir for another minute.

Now add all the colourful bell peppers(Simla mirch/capsicum) .

Add salt, tomato ketchup and chilli sauce/hot momo dip(click here) and sauté for a few minutes, till all the ketchup is absorbed by the veggies (You do not want a soggy quesadillas). Take this filling off the flame.

Now take a non-stick pan. You can use your non-stick dosa tawa.

Smear oil on the griddle and let this heat up. Take your tortilla, in this recipe, I used the left over roti's from my kitchen. They work wonders, as this will turn super crunchy in a bit with a burst of flavours from the filling.

Just heat the chapati on the one side for few seconds and turn it over.

You may add mayonnaise for that extra flavour on the base of the chapati.



Now take the filling and spread it evenly on the roti.


Add the grated mozzarella cheese on top and put another roti on this and take a spatula and press evenly so that the cheese seals both the roti's and holds the filling.




Now carefully flip this sandwich and let this grill evenly till it turns crispy on the other side as well.




Take this off the flame. Cut and serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.





A Few Tips:
  • Of-course you can use corn tortilla or apf tortillas. I just think, that since it takes a lot of efforts to make chapatis, why not make good use of it. The Mexican way.
  • You can go crazy with the veggies and use any you like. Eg: Olives, jalapeños, zuccini, courgettes, rajma etc . But please do not use carrots, beans, cauliflower. They don't go well with this dish.
  • I make my salsa at home, which I refrigerate and use as per my requirement. So I added a couple of teaspoons to enhance the flavour. I will make a separate post on my salsa recipe as well.
  • I also added a couple of spoons of my hot momo dip- click here for recipe. Since I made it extra spicy, I ended up adding more tomatoes and now left with a jar of this dip. Hence I refrigerated this as well. Try and pair it with recipes which require tomatoes and chillies combo. The recipe for my hot momos dip/chutney has already been featured,  on how to make momos at home . 
  • Cheese acts as a binding agent so I added loads of it. If you don't not wish to use this, you can eliminate this. But make sure your gravy is cooked until its lost all its moisture and is almost dry.
  • If you do not get sour cream or guacamole where you live. You can serve this as it is. 


Do try this and leave me a comment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment